Global warming has raised many problems, and amongst them, the happening of Acid Rain is the one. The temperature of the earth is continuously rising, and the reason behind it is a rise in Global Warming. Acid rain mainly consists of acidic components, and it drops down on the earth in the form of rain, affecting the ground inhabitants. In this context, we will understand and learn about the impacts of Acid Rain on the planet and the ways to mitigate such problems.
What is Acid Rain? Definition
Rain helps in breathing to the nature and is also the vital source for green and water bodies. If rain does not occur any day, all the water bodies on the ground will start getting dry, and it will be difficult for all living beings to survive without water. The current scenario’s problem is that rain is essential, but what if the rain is acidic and has many harmful effects.
Acid rain has started taking place since urbanization has increased. It is considered as consisting of acidic components, and it falls in the form of rain. Most gases are found in the air, and those are harmful. When this contaminated air mixes with the water, it comes down in the form of acidic rain. These kinds of rains are considered as dangerous rain that has bad impacts on nature and animals. When the sulphur and nitric acids go up in the air, it gets mixed with both water and air. Due to this, the air we intake becomes harmful, and the rain becomes acidic.
What are the Causes of Acid Rain?
Human activities are the prior reason that has led to the happening of acid rain. Moreover, sometimes, some of the natural causes are also the reason for such happenings. The main reasons for the formation of acidic rain are listed below:
- Most of the industries use emissions gaseous chemicals for their operations. These emissions mix with the air and form acidic components in nature.
- Volcanic eruptions take place frequently, and lots of gases from them get mixed in the air.
- Fossil Fuels burning are the common activity that a human has chosen, and this emits most of the hazardous gas in nature. This affects not only human beings but all living creatures that exist on this earth.
- Millions of vehicles run daily, and the smoke that comes out from them is hazardous. These all indirectly have a bad impact on humans, animals as well as on plants.
- The automobiles sector and power plants emit most of the sulphur dioxide and nitric oxide gas, and these, however, are the serious reason for the acidic rain.
Cities have been developed, and to meet the standard of the people maximum, companies are trying their hard to earn and satisfy human wants. We all know that the people’s demands are unlimited, and they will hardly get into control. Human activities have included running the automobiles sector, power plants, oil refineries, and all these plants use the chemicals to make it run and last longer. These all are the major causes that have led to the emission of hazardous gas in nature, impacting all living beings. Furthermore, we will understand the impacts of Acid Rain individually on humans, animals, and plants.
Effects of Acid Rain on Human
There are various impacts of Acid Rain that have indirectly defoliated humans’ health with severe diseases and other problems. The points for better understanding are discussed below:
- Air is the most important source for inhaling. We all inhale oxygen, and if we don’t, then everything will get collapsed and die. We know that pure air keeps us fit and healthy, but we are bound to face severe health problems due to increased Acid Rain and impure air.
Acid rain does not interact with the human skin. However, the particles that air has in it cause dangerous disease to the human being as we humans inhale that air. In the form of water, the acidic water is less harmful directly for humans, but inhaling the sulphur dioxide gas mixed in the air leads to lung-related problems.
- The increase in acid rain when drops on the ground lead to fog formation in the air, which creates invisibility issues and irritation in health in many ways.
Effects of Acid Rain on small Plants and big Trees
Trees are a vital part of nature, but acid rain has severely affected the plants in the current situation. The following points are discussed below:
- When Acid Rain takes place, it mainly affects the fertility of the quality of the soil. The soil has different nutrients that help it remain fertile and similarly helps in supporting plants and big trees. But the problem of acid rain deteriorates the soil fertility, and due to this, plants and trees also get harmed.
- The raindrops when falls on the leaves of the plants, the leaves get changed either in brown color or become dead. Due to the acid rain, the plant loses its green color and therefore gets turned in other.
- The farmer’s earning source is only agriculture, but due to the rise in acid rain, the crops do not get good nutrients. This lack of nutrients does not allow seeds to grow, and therefore farmers use several chemical fertilizers and others to help them grow. Furthermore, the excess use of fertilizers drains the quality of soil and crops both and hence that particular land left then barren.
- Acid rain decreases the growth procedures of the trees as well as it also declines the soil pH level, which is the major disadvantage that nature is facing due to acid rain.
Environmental issues and problems are increasing at a higher rate daily due to acid rain. This has had a severe impact on maximum plants and aquatic animals, becoming severe day by day.
Does Acid Rain kill Plants?
Acid Rains have less PH level that is harmful to the plants. Such Rains does not harm directly, and it declines the potential of growth of trees gradually. Soils in the ground help the trees and small plants remain bound for a longer period and help in nourishing with all the essential nutrients. However, when it gets into contact with acidic rain, the soil loses its minerals and nutrients. When the soil cannot maintain its nutrients, the plant leaves start to decay and change color.
Many times, it can be seen that the plant leaves either get changed in brown or sometimes in yellowish. All the veins of the plants stop getting nutrients to grow, resulting in weak stems or leaves. This gives a sign for plants getting decay. Therefore, we can say that Acid Rain does not kill the plant directly, but it gradually removes the soil’s nutrients, which alternately affects the growing plants.
Effects of Acid Rain on Animals
An Ecological and Environmental system gets fully devastated when human activities harm the environment increases. Knowingly or unknowingly, we humans have harmed our environment, which is why other living creatures are facing issues. There are few points listed below that will help in understanding how acid rain is affecting animals.
- Acid rain harms biodiversity. Rain gets dropped on different water bodies and thus killing the species of fish.
- Many of the animals are herbivorous and feed on plants. However, we know that there are lots of plants that get affected due to acid rain and gets decay. When the animals feed on those plants, they too get infected and start facing problems in their body.
- We all follow a food web, and if one thing gets affected, the other will get too. In the water bodies, phytoplankton mostly gets affected by acidic rain, and the insects dependent on the phytoplankton die gradually after eating. Similarly, when they feed on those insects, fish get dead and that too in huge numbers.
- Animals in the water or land are now left with very little food as the maximum is affected by acid rain.
Effects of Acid Rain on Water bodies and Water animals
Direct rain from the sky directly drops down on the water bodies affecting the water animals at are a higher rate. The relevant points are discussed below:
- When the acid rain takes place, it first drains away from the soil nutrients and the soil flowing from the lakes and streams and mixed with the large bodies. This affects underwater animals and plants highly.
- Due to the formation of acid rain, the water of water bodies gets highly polluted by acid rain, and the pH level also goes too down. The decrease in water’s pH shows that the water is highly polluted, and its acidic reactions have risen.
- The average pH value is seven, which means that the water is not acidic or less acidic. However, when this keeps on declining, it shows that water has a lot of reactants and is acidic.
The concepts of acid rain are easier to understand, and its impacts on the environment are indirect. Still, the results it is giving every year are worsening, and it is continuing every day.
Effects of Acid Rain on Monuments
Acid rain has impacted all living beings, but we can see that the monuments and buildings are also affected. As the days pass, Acid Rains are harmful to all marbles, rocks, and Stones monuments. In India, the Taj Mahal is a great monument and one of the wonders of the world. The real color of the marble is white, but due to the acid rain, the marble has soaked it, and it has turned up the color from white to pale yellow. The maximum pollutants from the air have deteriorated our great monuments’ quality, so acid rain is dangerous for the marble or stone made monuments.
Ways to Mitigate the Problem of Acid Rains: Solutions
The increase in Acid Rain and its impacts cannot be stopped, but it can be controlled through some efforts. The various ways are listed below:
- The use of gaseous chemicals and the emission of harmful gases should be reduced.
- To produce energy, many industries follow the process of burning fossil fuels, and due to this rise of acid rain are taking place. However, if the industries choose to produce energy free from fossil fuels, it can help mitigate this problem.
- Governments are taking several steps to control acid rain, but only such actions will be not helpful. Some of the initiatives should also be taken by an individual to control its effects.
- An individual should at least make some effort in conserving energy. Conservation of energy is important as most of the fossil fuels are burnt to produce energy. A person can save energy from their end by turning the lights, fans, and others when not required. This will save the maximum use of energy and contribute to a decrease in acid rain.
- The use of Air conditioners in today’s time is unlimited. We can see that almost all the homes and offices of metro cities are installed with air conditioners. Moreover, there is hardly any hotel that does not have air conditioners installed. Therefore, consumption of energy is higher when the Air conditioners uses are more. Hence, Use of Air Conditioners should be restricted or allowed in limited.
- The use of Renewable sources should be followed to produce a higher amount of energy. Non-renewable resources are not highly recommended for this.
- Automobiles sectors are largely contributing to the formation of acid rain. The reason behind this is that smog from vehicles is highly emitted and produces nitrogen oxides in the air. Vehicles such as cars, trains, or buses produce smog full of nitrogen dioxides. The air then mixes, and the precipitation that takes place consists of acidic components. To control this, an individual should opt for walking, and the use of vehicles should be limited so that it does not contribute to acid rain.
- The generation is changing, and so are the minds of the people. Many new generations are coming up every day with new ideas and concepts, and most of the ideas are based on development giving rise to industrialization. When such ideas come up, certain activities to perform that may involve uses of energy, and the formation of acid rain takes place.
Renewable Sources and Non-Renewable Sources
To mitigate the problem of the rise in acid rain, one should follow renewable resources to form good energy. For this, an understanding of this concept is essential. The Difference between Renewable Resource and Non-Renewable Resource are given below:
- Renewable sources are highly recommendable for the energy form as they are considered an environment-friendly resource and do not cause pollution. At the same time, Non-Renewable Resources are not eco-friendly and involve the use of fossil fuels or some minerals to produce energy.
- Renewable resources can be easily available and found, but non-renewable resources cannot be found easily.
- Examples of Renewable resources are solar energy or wind etc., and the examples of Non-Renewable resources of energy are minerals or fossils, etc.
Environmental issues are continuously increasing day by day. The number of pollution and its pollutants are also putting bad impact on all the living brings. Acid rains have been considered a kind of pollution that indirectly affects all the living organisms on earth and water bodies. The context clearly explains the issues that Acid Rain has created in the environment. We have learned from the context that the use of Renewable Resource of energy should be appreciated, and industries should turn up to this to save energy and help in declining the impacts of acid rain.