In this article, we will learn what is waste water along with definition, meaning, types, reasons, treatments, etc. to have a basic concept.
What is Waste Water? Definition, Meaning
Let’s try to understand what is waste water? “Water” is an essential source for all living organisms on earth. All of us know well that water has different uses, and it’s also used for various purposes. Water was the nature’s gift to us, and in the earlier days, the lakes, rivers, and ponds were so pure that it was used for the drinking purpose.
- In the present situation, it is tough to believe that the water which in earlier days was used for drinking, now it has become so dirty and poisonous that it hardly could be used for any purpose.
- The situations of the urbanized cities are so much detrained and defoliated that nowadays people are buying the water jar and using it for drinking.
- We can say that the most important source, which was a gift of nature earlier, now is being bought after paying the enormous cost.
In earlier times, water was used majorly for drinking, but now its purposes have changed. Modernization has led to the use of water excessively, and the result is it is being wasted like anything. People now use water to wash clothes, dishes, clean homes, use in construction sites, toilets, showers, etc. The innumerable use has led to waste, and it is increasing continuously. In the cities, we have seen big drains, lakes and other water bodies that seem to be dirty. The algae can be easily found on the water, and it becomes useless for any purpose and ultimately becomes waste.
The current generations have to know the importance of water in coming times, and it will become too expensive to buy and drink. The waste of water should be stopped from now onwards, and every person should put effort into saving the water.
In this context, we will understand how we are wasting the water knowingly or unknowingly and saving the water. Water-saving is the most vital process, and every and every person should adhere to this without any fail.
Types of Waste Water
The types of water are mainly classified as of three types. Those types are discussed below:
Domestic waste is considered the primary type of waste common in current times. This is a kind of waste generated from the household. For multiple purposes, water is used, and mainly it is used massively in houses and apartments.
- We use water in our houses to wash dishes, Clothes, Floors, Toilets, Rooms, Lawns, etc. In flats and apartments, water is used as anything and then comes out as wastewater.
- This type of wastewater comes out, taking only dirt and all the impurities.
The secondary type of wastewater is named Industrial Sewage. Big or Small industrial has a lot of water use. An industry uses tons and gallons of water for its operational activities.
- The factories or industries that deal with manufacturing and chemical purposes use a lot of water.
- A massive amount of water is used and considered wastewater.
Storm sewage is the waste that comes out after the storm takes place. Everyone knows the climatic change and its impacts. Sometimes we see that flood comes up suddenly with lots of sewage carried in it.
- This is considered as a huge loss for the environment as we can see how much water gets wasted due to all these reasons.
- To save and to save is only the option available to the people so that it can be used for a good purpose and save this important natural resource.
Activities that Show we are Wasting the Water
- In our daily life, we are using water in diverse ways for different purposes.
- The water wastes are done both for domestic use and for industrial use.
- We are using water for the major purpose of “Drinking,” and that cannot be considered waste.
- People are using it for mopping the floor and clothes as well.
- It is also misused by washing the cars and other vehicles.
- It has been used for bathing, cleaning the toilets, use in sour, flushes and others. All these actions somehow are contributing to the waste of water.
- A person is using the tap and does not stop the running water. They are using it left it as it is, and this leads to waste.
- Dishes are used and washed daily, and this is also wasting a tremendous amount of water.
- We do not have any water use now and then, but still, we leave the tap running.
- We have seen that the public’s restrooms are typically where an additional amount of water is wasted.
- People act carelessly and hardly check regarding any leakage in the tanks and others.
- Use of bathtubs in the washroom. When we use a massive amount of water in the bathtub, it is a waste. A total bucket amount of water is enough for proper bathing. But for maintaining the standard or for just the sake of fun, people use bathtubs which are not required.
- Using water in vehicles washing even on rainy days.
- Everyday using water for maintaining the greens and the home gardens
- Use of water in the swimming pools for swimming.
- Watering the home gardens or lawns even when it is not too requisite.
- Not saving the rainwater.
- Washing or cleaning the pets which are not necessarily required.
- Use of waters in AC, Coolers, and other means.
- Showering in hot water daily or continuously for long hours. The hot water gets evaporated quickly and results in wastage of water.
- Using it on occasions such as “Holi” and wasting it like anything. In Holi, people use gallons and ample water for playing, and it is a complete waste.
The activities mentioned above clearly make it understandable how we are wasting water. Also, because of this continuous waste, we can see that the water bodies are getting dry, or even if the water is present, it is found to be dirty covered with Algae. It has become necessarily important for people to realize the importance of water.
- A tremendous amount of water is used for industrial activities.
- All the construction sites use water to build buildings mad apartments, and a massive amount of water is required.
- Water harvesting processes are not followed.
- Use of water in hospitals, institutions, and agricultural processes.
- In the irrigation process, a considerable amount of water is utilized. Due to climatic changes, rain hardly takes place, and due to this, farmers are bound to use the irrigation process.
- Too many Restaurants are opened in every city and place, and they consume the maximum amount of water.
- Sometimes, a climatic change also leads to Wastages of water.
Water is considered to be the sole lifeline of People. It is a precious gift of nature should not be treated as a waste. When the wastewater is obtained from houses or industries, it comes in the form of sewage, and it is considered to be untreated and harmful. The sewage ultimately brings a different kind of diseases and affects human health.
We have often read that water should be kept in one place for a longer period as different bacteria start surviving, and it becomes hazardous for the body.
Pollutants of Waste Water
- Plastics, Bottles, Cans, and other related items in water.
- Use of Detergents.
- The use of any kind of chemicals in water leads to the forming of Bacteria, algae, and other types of Viruses.
How to Stop Wastage of Water?
- Treatment of Waste Water is required as we all know that saving water is important, and if we don’t find the way now, all the living organisms will be facing trouble in the future. The natural water bodies are the earth’s spine, and they should not get defoliated.
- The treatment of water should be done in such a way so that the impurities present in water can be distant certainly, and it should not get in contact with the water bodies.
- We must ensure that the plastics and all should be thrown in water. It should be either thrown in garbage boxes or dustbins. When the plastic comes in the contact with water, it makes impure and waste.
- The treatment of sewage must be considered. The wastage should be contained at some particular place and should not be led to take away in the away.
- Too much use of Water in the Toilets should be stopped. It used to be used only when it was required. The runoff of water without any use must be taken into control.
- We have seen vacuum toilets are set up in Airplanes. So, it’s a good way to save water as it does not lead to wastage.
- Instead of wasting water in washrooms, it is better to use that water for plants.
- Reuse of water should be done. If used for a particular purpose, it has to be reused for other works to continue saving water.
- All the leaks in all kinds of pipes and others should be repaired.
- Gardens and lawns should be water only when it is required. A time should be maintained and followed so that water does not get wasted.
- The occasion should be celebrated with less water. Only on occasion itself huge amount of water gets wasted.
- All the rainwater should be store. Rainwater can be used for a lot of purposes.
- The use of swimming pools and other water-related activities should not take place more. It is required, though but should be used in a minimum way without wasting lots of water.
- Instead of washing the vegetables and fruits in the running water, we should wash them in the steam process to wash most of the veggies. Washing with warm water is more effective than with cold waters.
- The government should act for this and take major steps to keep the water clean and make it free from wastewater.
- In the localities and small places, water supply facilities are available, and people use them for their purposes. But we have seen many times that the water remains running without stoppage and this is a huge loss and waste as well. An initiative should be taken from the government to provide proper tap facilities for these supply water. This initiative can help in less wastage and can be used for good purposes.
- Gutters water should be kept cleaning, and all the dirt should be removed continuously.
Treatment of Wastewater to make it Clean and Pure for Drinking
- The screening of water is followed to treat wastewater. Screening helps to remove all the harmful tiny particles from water. The harmful tiny particles are plastics, cans, etc.
- Grit Removal is the other that is followed. This method helps in removing the sand as well as very small stones off from water.
- In the third process, the clarifiers are used. The use of Clarifiers helps in removing all the grease and impurities from the water. It pumps up from the bottom, and then it is removed. These are down-settled impurities and are a bit tough process.
- In the fourth process, the wastewater passes through another phenomenon known as Filtration. In the Filtration process, water is filtered, and all the excess and remaining particles are excluded and removed. The filtration process helps to get clean water that can be used for drinking purposes. We must understand that if the water does not get filtered properly, it cannot be used for drinking purposes.
- The other process through which wastewater undergoes is the Chlorination process. In this process, the water is added with Chlorine. The addition of Chlorine in water helps to keep the water disinfected for a longer period. Also, the bacteria do not survive in chlorinated water.
- Now, adding further, the process includes Testing Water. This is considered to be the Vital Process. Wastewater testing is done to ensure that it does not discharge any kind of effluent and must not be harmful to any kind of plant. Testing is followed continuously so that all the effluent discharges can be done and we can clean water.
- After all these processes, the water can be used for several purposes and cannot be considered wastewater.
Hence, we have learned the basic details of waste water along with the definition, meaning, types, reasons, treatments, etc. to have a basic concept.
Check out to our most interesting articles.